Thursday, February 3, 2011

Rexburg or bust

So we made it to Rexburg.  It is hard believe we are really here and not leaving to back to Virginia.  We have been here almost a month.  AHHH!  We are currently living with my parents while we look for a house.  Once we have our own place I think it will feel much more permanent. 

It has been so great to be around family.  It has definately filled up our time.  It is a good thing though because there isn't much else to do here. 
At least not when it is 0 degrees outside.  The other night we needed to get a picture printed for Scott.  We went at 10 pm and everything was closed.  Rexburg is more small town than I remember it being.  But I love it.  I love the familiarity of it all.

I decided I would make a top ten (or more)  list for Rexburg and also a top ten (or more) of Virginia. 

So here we go:
Rexburg
- It takes two minutes for Scott to get to work
- Our family is here
- The mountains I can see down mainstreet
- Seeing the same person at the docter and the grocery store
- Having the store clerk be in your church ward
- The simple process of everything because people trust each other
- Gas Prices
- Running in complete silence on crunchy snow
- Running alone in the dark
- Clean, refreshing air and water
- Fast stop lights
- No traffic
- Quick trips are really quick trips
- small community events
- Silence
- Frosted trees on cold mornings
- Clean rivers
- Starry nights
- Affordable home prices

Virginia
- Wegman's and Trader Joes
- The frog pond
- Mediterranean food
- Having to fill up our own time
- Trips into the city
- Fantastic friends you have time to be with
- Diversity
- Shopping options
- Washington D.C.
- Eastern Market
- The big city
- Craigslist
- Unique
- Running trail right outside my house
- 10 billion day trip options
- Trees
- Awsome architecture, everywhere!
- The swimming pool

 All in all we are settling in here but I find myself missing Virginia more than I thought I would.  Like I said, it is hard to think we won't be living there anymore.  Virginia was an experience we will never forget.  It has really helped make me who I am.  I have lived there twice and both times I came back to Rexburg changed; more grounded, more aware of what I wanted to be and who I was.  Both experiences were very challenging but brought great blessings.  I realize already I am going to have to fight to be the person I was in Virginia, it is so much easier to live here and thus easier to become lazy about things that matter most.  I loved the annonymity of the big city it made it so easy to just be you and do what you felt was right and best.  It is much more difficult here.  You just couldn't make comparisons in Virginia because you didn't know anybody well enough and you would never see them again and it just didn't matter.  Everybody was just who they are and that was it.  I loved that and I already have to work hard to not fall into that trap here. 

Anyway, there was rambling.  But... we are back and I love it.  I love the smallness and familiarity.  I love how kind and personal people are.  I love that it is a bubble of happiness.  I love that people look out for each other.  I love that I can keep my car running when I have to grab something from the house.  I love that my girls can go play in the yard without me right there.  I love that you can get involved in the community.  Really, I just love that we are home~

2 comments:

Kurt and Michelle said...

I am so glad you made it back safe. When we moved from Boise to I.F. I did and still do have a lot of those same feelings. I truly miss it there and it is like you said, it has made you who you are. It is always great to be a little closer to family. P.S. We would love for you guys to live in I.F. if Scott would want to commute, we love the little bit of separation.

Natalia said...

Wow, you're lucky. We hope to move somewhat close to family someday... hopefully.