Elder Oak's daughter is and in our ward here in Fairfax. Jenny Oaks Baker is her name. She is an incredible violinist who shares here talent with us whenever asked to. On top of that, her father comes to town once in awhile. Today was one of those days. Church was so fantastic. I don't think it was all because an apostle was there but because everybody prepared for an apostle to be there. If that makes sense. The talks were very well prepared, lessons were very well prepared and I think the members came more prepared to be taught. However, Elder Oaks did give a very good thought at the end of our sacrament meeting. He said first off that "I am not afraid of members of the church being too bad but rather, being too busy." (this was in reference to agency). The second thing he said was "God will consecrate our afflictions for our gain... but something came to me this morning... the opposite of that is also true.... the devil will twist our advantages for our loss. He will take what seems to be an advantage and if we're not careful, he will twist it into a loss, in our spirituality..."
The whole meeting today seemed to be about putting your priorities in the right spot. He gave some final thoughts in Relief Society as well. He told us that sometimes you need to sit back and refocus on your goal instead of doubling our efforts to make up for the goal we aren't reaching.
It was a fantastic meeting that made me realize I need to put the Lord first in all things in my life.
Anyway, I thought I would share. Love to you all.
Sunday, February 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I totally agree with what Elder Oaks said. There are so many people by us that have their kids involved in something every day. It makes me feel overwhelmed just thinking about.
Thanks so much for sharing! I loved the part about Satan twisting our advantages to our loss...I had never thought about it that way before and it really helped me see how truly important it is to be humble! Thanks!
Post a Comment