Monday, May 18, 2009

Happy Easter

  
Easter at our house was very eventful this year.  As we have done with all of the holidays since August, minus Christmas, we celebrated with just our little family.  It is funny how you cometo  expect certain things with holidays, tradition etc.  that with or without a lot of family around, you have to do or wouldn't be the holiday.  That being said, there are two such events at our house. The first is the Easter Egg Roll.  I am not sure how long this has been a tradition in the Flamm (my mom's side) family but we have been rolling eggs since I can remember.  At home my Grandma and Grandpa Flamm would dye beautiful eggs with each persons name on them.  (I still do not know how they get their eggs so dark.)  On Sunday we all find our egg and get down to business.  We square off by age, youngest against youngest and so on.  Two people get down on their knees about 10 feet from each other and on the count of three send their egg rolling toward the other.  When the two hit, usually after two or three trys, the one that cracks is out.  The winner moves on to the next round.  There is not a prize for winning, in fact the sooner you lose the sooner you get to eat your beautiful egg, but there is great joy in it.  I can recall winning only two times.  

  
Kayt found her Egg Roll egg
This year we were sure that each of us had our own special egg to roll.  We made a few extra for our friends, the Lowry's, that spent Easter with us.  I am proud to say, I won this year!!  

Our other tradition is reading the scriptures that talk about the Atonement.  Scott's sister Cassi made us a set of plastic eggs numbered 10-12.  Each one contains a scripture and an object the coincides with the scriptures.  For example, a small nail for the nails they drove threw Christ's wrists or a chunk of soap for Pilot washing his hands.  We usually do this at the end of the festivities to refocus on what the holiday is really about.  

It was so great to watch the girls find their baskets and eggs.  They both really go into this year.  Kayt got an umbrella she has wanted for a year now and was elated.  Ella got some balls, and is now saying the word!  

 
As an added bonus, Ella took her first steps on Easter.  She wanted an egg I was holding.  All it took was the right motivation I guess.  Go Ella!
  
It was a fantastic holiday and we were so glad we got to spend it with our friends, Blayne, Katie and Ava and their willingness to go along with our traditions.

1 comment:

Traci said...

Cute pictures! I can't tell you how excited we are to see you in a little over a month! Hooray!