Thursday, November 13, 2008

An update by the Numbers

1.81
The amount of money I paid for a gallon of gas today. Who would have thought we would ever see the day. It has been at least four years since I paid that for a gallon of gas. Total it cost me $37 to fill my gas tank from completely empty to totally full. I was in shock. I know the economy is not so hot but gas prices are helping free up a little money. Who knows why they sky rocketed so high. I think we all have our own little ideas but I am sure grateful for where they are now!!

63
The high temperature for Columbus, Ohio today. It was such a beautiful day. We went to the park to try and soak up as many rays as we could. The weather is still so nice here. We really did time it just right. We had minimal humidity to deal with when we came, the weather hasn't been colder than 45 degrees during the day and the leaves have been beautiful. Kayt and Ella go running with me in the morning and the other day as we were running down the bike path Kayt said, "look mom, it's raining leaves." And it was. It was so fun.

364
The number of electoral votes Barrack Obama won. My feelings on the presidential election are still mixed. I have to be honest I had little confidence in either option for president this election. I don't think either really has what it takes to steer our country in the right direction at this time. That being said, I think we are in for some major reforms. I don't want to align myself with either party, being a government girl I think the two party system is a diservice to the American people forcing them to make a choice between only two candidates when a third party may have been the best option. But alas, here we are. I voted for John McCain in this election not because I thought he was great but because I am against socialism. Yes, I am calling it what it is...a "redistribution of wealth" is just a more American friendly way of saying it. And, I am sorry but entitlement is not the American dream.
I will be honest in saying that I am a little nervous about the role the government is going to be playing in my life. We are living a time when drastic policies can be made and people will accept them because they are desperate. However, the results of those policies will be long lasting. This is what frightens me about President Obama. FDR, one of the most well known and revered presidents, was in a similar situation. Most of the welfare programs we now have came to be because of him. I am not saying they are bad and don't have their place I am just trying to make my point that once we have them they won't go away. I am very opposed to the majority of Obama's domestic policies. I only hope that the branch of the government that does actually make policy, the legislative, will be prudent and responsible and think long term instead of just right now.
That being said, I watched President Obama's acceptance speech and was moved. It has been awhile since a presidential speech has given me goose bumps, brought a tear to my eye, and made me proud to be an American. He is a great leader who inspires people and brings hope. And, I believe that is what America, maybe even the whole world, needs right now. Something or someone to look to for motivation and inspiration. I think Barrack Obama was the man for that job. Washington needs a little shake up, but I still feel that governments role is to provide opportunity, not grant entiltlement.

Enough on the presidential election!

52
The percentage that Proposition 8 passed by. This has been on my mind almost constantly this last week. I have been trying to come up with a confident answer I can give to people as to why I supported Prop 8 that they would understand without the religious doctrine behind it that I believe. Scott and I have been reading articles from the leaders of our faith, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and also from political perspectives. The fact is, my entire feelings on the matter stem from my belief that the traditional family is an institution created and ordained by God for the purposes of brining the greatest short term and eternal happiness to his children on this Earth. Without going deeper into our doctrine than that, I think we have finally nailed down our feelings on the matter that everyone, not just those that share our faith, can understand. So here it is...

It seems so much of the debate is focused on civil vs. religious liberties. I don't see it as such. The real issue is the impact that changing the definition of marriage would have on children and society as a whole. Since the beginning of time and across all cultures, marriage between a man and a woman has been society’s way of creating the next generation and providing the best environment for its success (because it is God's way). The wisdom of ages and modern studies conclude that the best environment for children is a home with a mother and father in a low conflict relationship where both are committed to each other and the success of the child. Marriage in the traditional sense guarantees children the right of being raised in this environment and grants them the greatest chance at leading healthy productive fulfilling lives. I feel children are entitled to this opportunity. Changing the definition of marriage to include that of same sex couples undermines this right because it weakens the institution of marriage. The definition of marriage for some has come to mean society’s stamp of approval on a sexual relationship rather than the institution by which children are brought into this world and provided with an environment for success. Allowing same sex marriage would cement the new definition thus undermining the old, traditional, correct definition. I understand and recognize that not all children are born into an ideal family/marriage. There are many that have succeeded against the odds. I also recognize the feelings and commitment that same sex couples share and respect that. However, the right of a child to have the chance at being born into the ideal environment should be protected above the right of adults to choose something to the contrary. Marriage has been the avenue for men and women to bring children into this world, children to be raised and nurtured and for society to continue to renew itself. I feel it, the institution of marriage, should be reserved for that purpose. Period.

Denying the certificate of marriage to same sex couples only denies them of society’s moral stamp of approval on something the majority of our society disagrees. I support proposition 8 because it protects marriage, children and our society.

18 and 27.5
Ella's height and weight at her six month check up.

18 and 30
Kayt's height and weight at one year old.

25
Kayt's current weight. Ellas going to catch her soon!!

Well there is it, my post by the numbers. I hope it wasn't too political. It is a crazy time that we are living in. It has been interesting to read some of the talks by general authorities and to see the fulfillment of prophecy. Thankgoodness for Propehts and Apostles in our modern day that lead and guide us. I know the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is God's restored church on the Earth today. I am grateful for it everyday in such a confusing time.

Love to all

6 comments:

Chelsi said...

I loved reading this post. It sounds just like you, on a variety of subjects. It almost felt like we were catching up at Grandma and Grandpa's house...which, by the way, we cannot wait to do at Christmas.See you there, until then, keep your posts coming.

Klingler said...

Wow! I loved reading this post. It renewed my ambition as an American. Thank you! I hope that OHIO is treating you great. We're not that far away!

Traci said...

Great post Kris! I loved reading it too.

Your pictures on the side of your blog are sooo cute! You really do have such a beautiful family - I'm proud to be related! ha ha

Wendy said...

Kristen - you're comments are inspiring. I've been trying to come to terms with my feelings about Prop 8 and the Obama Presidency . . . and have struggled . . . but you put it so well. I agree 100%

Chelsi said...

Speaking of Christmas...we have your gift, but are drawing a blank on Scott...any suggestions?

The Egan Family said...

Whats up Familia this is Nate. Was just browsing your blog and had to write a lil something something. Scott I was talking with Josh Darling the other day and we were remanising about when we would have ball pit wars up at hillcrest. Remember the days?? Kind of a random thought but you know me. Peace