

Well, our power came back on Saturday at 10:30 am. six day after it went out. Yes, that is right we were without power for six days!! Apparently hurricanes hit Ohio. They say that Hurricane Ike traveled across the Midwest and ended up in Ohio Sunday afternoon. It was quite an adventure. There were trees being blown over, power lines snapping, it was nuts. Scott and I weren't quite sure what to think about it. We were sitting in church when the lights went out and everybody just continues as normal. When church was over, one of the members had a tree sitting on his broken windshield and everybody acted like it was normal. We watched outside our window as people rode their bikes and walked their dogs and Scott and wondered "what in the world have we moved in to?!" Three days later when most of the city was still without power I think they finally realized it was a little bigger deal than anyone have thought. As for us, we busted out the camping equipment and weathered the storm.
We took advantage of the power being off to go the Kirtland, OH and the John Johnson farm. It was amazing. I think that Kirtland is the most overlooked church history site we have. God the Father and Jesus Christ appeared four times in Kirtland and we were able to sit in two of the places that it occurred. There was such a special feeling there. It was almost overwhelming. We were able to go to the Newel K. Whitney store and sit in the room of the School of the Prophets, and we saw his home where the prophet stayed. The John Johnson home was the most amazing to me though. It is where the plan of salvation was revealed. It is also the location where one of the most tragic stories in my mind of persecution occurred. It is the place where Joseph Smith was taken in the middle of the night and tarred and feathered while his baby was sick. And his son died five days later form exposure to the cold. There is a powerful spirit there. It was such a faith building, rejuvenating trip for both me and Scott. I came away with a stronger testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith. I know that he was the first prophet of this dispensation, that he had been chosen by God to restore the gospel for our time. I know that he saw and spoke to God and Jesus Christ. I know that his life was spared many times so he could complete the work that the Lord had sent him here to do. His life is an example of faith, perseverance and love and I am so grateful to him for never shrinking from his task, even when his life and the life of those he loved was at stake.
We got to stop off at Aunt Lynn and Uncle Wayne's house on our way home. It was so nice to be with family. They were so kind to let us hang out for a bit and they equipped up with a cooler and some ice to serve as our fridge for the next couple of days. It is nice to be close to someone.
I am also proud to announce that we got our final room unpacked and we are officially moved in. It feels so nice. Home is good place to be now. It came just in time. Scott starts school tomorrow and we are off and running. He is really excited to get started.
We took advantage of the power being off to go the Kirtland, OH and the John Johnson farm. It was amazing. I think that Kirtland is the most overlooked church history site we have. God the Father and Jesus Christ appeared four times in Kirtland and we were able to sit in two of the places that it occurred. There was such a special feeling there. It was almost overwhelming. We were able to go to the Newel K. Whitney store and sit in the room of the School of the Prophets, and we saw his home where the prophet stayed. The John Johnson home was the most amazing to me though. It is where the plan of salvation was revealed. It is also the location where one of the most tragic stories in my mind of persecution occurred. It is the place where Joseph Smith was taken in the middle of the night and tarred and feathered while his baby was sick. And his son died five days later form exposure to the cold. There is a powerful spirit there. It was such a faith building, rejuvenating trip for both me and Scott. I came away with a stronger testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith. I know that he was the first prophet of this dispensation, that he had been chosen by God to restore the gospel for our time. I know that he saw and spoke to God and Jesus Christ. I know that his life was spared many times so he could complete the work that the Lord had sent him here to do. His life is an example of faith, perseverance and love and I am so grateful to him for never shrinking from his task, even when his life and the life of those he loved was at stake.We got to stop off at Aunt Lynn and Uncle Wayne's house on our way home. It was so nice to be with family. They were so kind to let us hang out for a bit and they equipped up with a cooler and some ice to serve as our fridge for the next couple of days. It is nice to be close to someone.
I am also proud to announce that we got our final room unpacked and we are officially moved in. It feels so nice. Home is good place to be now. It came just in time. Scott starts school tomorrow and we are off and running. He is really excited to get started.
5 comments:
Grandma called and told us about your power...that is crazy. I feel you on the fridge situation. Our fridge here quit and we can't get another one until Oct. 10! Luckily some people in our ward had a mini fridge they let us borrow. We did the cooler and ice thing for a couple of days though...I am not sure what people did before we had all of our power-run conveniences. We are lucky. Glad to hear everything is back up and running. Good luck to Scott with school!
I can't believe you made it that long without power! Kirtland and the John Johnson home sound amazing. I'm glad you were taking advantage of time together before Scott starts school. Tell him good luck!
That is crazy the storm hit you guys. I know Ty and I didn't know what we were getting ourselves into when we moved out here and the floods and the tornados came within two weeks of being here. Luckily neither bothered us where we are living. However, only 10 miles away was some of the actual flooding and Ty would pass by it one his way to school. It is true that people act like it is no big deal. Very cool that you got to see those sites. I am currently reading The Work and Glory series.
Wow! You guys really had to improvise. That is awesome that you got to see some church history. It truly is a testimony builder- that extra boost we need once in a while. Good luck out there!
That is CRAZY! It sounds like you got a fun vacation out of the ordeal. I'm glad everything is back to normal for you.
Post a Comment