I have to admit I was pretty proud of the way I found my way around the city by myself with Kayt and Ella. They were troopers though.
The first day we headed to Independence Square to see the Liberty Bell which Ella describes as "tall, tall". The bell was definitely the highlight of her day. There weren't any crowds (it being January and 30 degrees outside) so we just took our time seeing what we wanted to see. It really was fun. I did receive a few lessons from the city on this first day.
1) small denominations of cash are a must. DO NOT PUT $20 into a token machine. You will get $20 worth of tokens, not change
2) Subway workers are not happy people and do not like to answer questions. Just give them the token and find the main service desk hub.
3) Subways are not like the D.C. Metro. They stink and are a little scary and they don't all have elevators. Stop at one that does or you will haul two kids and a stroller up two flights of stairs.
4) Parking costs A LOT of MONEY!!!
On day two we headed to the Academy of Natural Sciences and The Ben Franklin Institute of Technology. We could have spent a week in the Institute of Technology alone. It is hands down the coolest science museum I have been to. The highlight of what we saw, was a a full sized train engine and all the interactive stuff showing how it goes. We also went to a show in the planetarium about telescopes. I have decided I am would pay a lot of money to actually look through a telescope and see a planet. How cool would that be. We also got to walk through a giant heart. It was awesome.
My favorite part was the butterfly conservatory. It was a huge room with tons of butterflies just cruisin' around you. The girls were a little freaked out by it. There big blue butterflies that flew a little too close, all the time.
Our hotel room had a sweet corner view and a swimming pool. The girls couldn't have asked for much more. They spent a lot of time standing in the window watching cars and the Hard Rock Cafe guitar turn around (it was right across the street).
Poor Scott had to be in trainings all day but we got to meet him for dinner which is a rare occasion now a days and hang out with him at night.
We finished our trip with a Philly Cheese steak on our way out of town. It was a great time. The people we nice, there was a lot to see and do and we had an adventure.
![]() |
| Make a Smilebox scrapbook |

5 comments:
Looks like you guys had fun! Thanks for the Christmas card....we're slackers. Maybe next year!
HOw fun does that sound! Thanks for the tips. Ammon, the kids, my mom, sister and husband and I are making a week trip of it in May (and to go to Sesame Place) and you gave me some good ideas of fun stuff to do! Thank you! Hope you guys are doing well and are still very much missed!
Looks like you had a blast! Good job on doing it all alone, I know how tough that is with kids! By the way, it looks like you got a joovie stroller, do you like it?
You are amazing for braving Philly on your own! I visited last summer and decided that Philly is so not the city of brotherly love. The historic district is cool though - I have already decided I need another trip back to see the butterflies. I bet that was amazing.
Wow that sounds like a great trip. Nice work getting around by yourself with 2 kids. I'm not sure I would be that brave. Your kids are adorable!
Post a Comment