So, I have had a crazy week. I am not sure why exactly I struggled so much but it was one of those weeks where if my head was not attached, it would have been left behind. I know that is cliche, but for real, that is how it was.
The pinnacle of my dumbness occured Friday morning. I had gotten the girls up and ready and was feeling good about things. I called my friend and volunteered to take her daughter to preschool about 20 minutes away. I even got the girls there on time after only one wrong turn (I have been to this place 3 times already!!!). So Ella and I headed to Wal-Mart to pick up a few things.
I was on my way out, with plenty of time to hit Kroger grocery to buy some cheese and I can't find my keys. No big deal I can never find my keys...dig some more. No way...dig, dig. No way did I lock them in the car...dig,dig. Are they in the ignition...no I took them out. Clean the dirt off the windows and low and behold, there are the wonderful keys sitting next to Ella's car seat!!!!!
No big deal, I will call Scott, see if he can call our friend, and he'll bring the spare keys. A little inconvenient but doable. I get about halfway through my phone call and my phone beeps. I have about thirty seconds until the thing dies!!! I frantically start scribbling phone numbers of people I will need to call (the preschool etc.) So here I am, locked out and phone-less!!!!
I asked the service counter if they had a payphone (they are becoming more and more rare) and they did. I just happened to grab our change bag that morning on a whim and so I used it call Scott to explain why our conversation was cut short and to see how the spare key hunt was coming. He'd called a friend who was borrowing his neighbors car to come and get Scott to come and get me. I told Scott I would call him back in 20 minutes. By this time about 45 minutes had passed. When I called Scott back he had torn through the house three times and could not find the keys anywhere. Blayne, saint friend, had to have the neighbors car back in 10 minutes and had to go. So again, Kristen is stranded. I instinctively called my dad, the car fix-all man, who suggested I get a key cut but then pointed out I had no way of going to pick up the key!! After about 1.5 hours I had finally decided I was going to have to call a locksmith and called Scott to see if he would look a number up for me. To my wonderful surprise he had found the valet key to our car and was going to take the 45 minute bus ride to come and rescue me. I told him I could call my dear friend Sara to see if she could take him. I was looking for the paper I had written her number on and, low and behold, guess what I came up with......The SPARE SET OF KEYS!!!!! I am not kidding. I have no idea why I did not see them the first 5 times I checked my purse but there they were now in all their black and chrome splendor. I was giddy with excitement.
So 2 hours and the price of a phone card later, I had learned a most valuable lesson... You are not in the 'Burg anymore Kris. You don't have one million people to bail you out of your stupidity. You actually have to think through things once and awhile and ONLY LOCK THE CAR WITH THE FOB, then you know you have the keys!!!!!
I am glad the week is over, is all I have to say!
P.S.
Scott was so fantastic. Even after he had wasted his whole morning trying to rescue me when I had the spare keys the whole time he didn't even roll his eyes. I guess he's just used to it now. And... he is wonderful!
Sunday, January 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh my goodness this story was hilarious!
Kris-
I loved this story and I know what you mean when you say you're not in the Burg anymore and have to think before you go places!!
Post a Comment